Payroll Administrator Level 3 Apprenticeship Standard
Payroll Admin Level 3 Apprenticeship Standard
Payroll Administrator Overview
A Payroll Administrator will, typically, have responsibility for setting up and operating the payroll within the organisation in which they are employed or on behalf of another organisation. The role may be located within a business/organisation or in a payroll bureau, bookkeeping or accounting practice, or professional services company. The job may sit within the HR or Finance function.
In medium to large organisations, a Payroll Administrator may work as part of a team, often reporting to a team leader, supervisor or manager. In smaller organisations, a Payroll Administrator may be a stand-alone role with sole responsibility for the payroll function. Additionally, and depending on their role within the organisation, a Payroll Administrator may also have responsibility for the accurate and timely completion of routine and non-routine payroll-related calculations and other information.
The main duties may typically include:
- Gathering, creation and processing of payroll-related information to ensure employees are paid on time and accurately. This will be via payroll software, though its use must be accompanied by the ability to perform this manually
- Compliance with legislative and contractual obligations
- Internal and external reporting of payroll information to deadlines
- Effective and appropriate communication with employees and relevant stakeholders
- Working to relevant ethical and professional standards in a legislative and regulatory environment that is constantly changing
Competence within the payroll occupation is demonstrated in this Standard by the required Knowledge, Skills and Behaviours detailed below.